- The Intersessional meeting of the Kimberley Process(KP) has started in Mumbai.
- During the meeting,India has committed to play an active role to curb the circulation of ‘conflict diamonds’ or ‘blood diamonds’ in the international market by further strengthening the Kimberley Process Certification Scheme(KPCS).
- India has said that the 4Cs (Cut, Clarity, Colour & Carat) of diamonds may soon be expanded to 5Cs with the fifth being Conflict-Free.
- Similarly,in the 5Ps of diamond marketing (Precious, Popular, Prestige, Priceless) will also be expanded with the fifth would represent Peace Diamond.
- The Kimberley Process(KP) is an international certification scheme that came into force in 2003.It regulates trade in rough diamonds.It aims to prevent the flow of conflict diamonds.
- Conflict diamonds also known as blood diamonds are rough diamonds used by rebel movements or their allies to finance armed conflicts aimed at undermining legitimate governments.
- The Kimberley Process Certification Scheme(KPCS) outlines the rules that govern the trade in rough diamonds.
- The KP is not an international organisation as it has no permanent offices or permanent staff.It relies on the contributions under the principle of burden sharing of participants supported by industry and civil society observers.
5 min read