- India has planned to launch a coffee consumption campaign on behalf of global coffee growers who suffered huge financial losses on account of falling coffee prices and soaring labour cost.
- The five-year coffee consumption campaign will be organised in collaboration with top global roasters including Nestle,Starbucks,cafe chains and the Government of India.
- As per International Coffee Organization(ICO),25 million farmers which includes more than 3 lakh in India produce coffee in 60 countries.Over 90% of these growers are smallholders and are forced to sell their coffee at a price much below the cost of production.
- This scenario has led to socio-economic issues.These growers and their families have gone deeper into debts.Many even have abandoned their farms and migrated to cities.
- To bring world coffee producers out of this poverty stricken situation, World Coffee Producers Forum has decided to reach out to the coffee consuming countries around the world
2 min read