- Indian Navy has launched Scorpene class Submarine Vela.The submarine has been named Vela after an earlier submarine which was the lead submarine of the erstwhile Vela class.
- Vela is the fourth of six planned Scorpene-class submarines.The six submarines will replace the Indian Navy’s ageing Sindhughosh and Shishumar class of submarines.
- Scorpene class submarines is a class of diesel-electric submarine being built under Project-75 by Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL) with technology transfer from France.It features diesel-electric propulsion and an additional air-independent propulsion(AIP) system.It will have both anti-surface and anti-submarine warfare.
- Conventional diesel-electric submarines have to surface every few days to get oxygen to recharge their batteries.With AIP systems,they can stay submerged for much longer periods.
- A submarine is a watercraft capable of independent operation underwater.A submarine is the quietest military platform and extremely tough to detect.Their main cover is their ability to move stealthily under water and keep an eye on enemy movement of vessels.
7 min read