- Recently,a group of Indian scientists have developed a new vaccine against anthrax.
- The vaccine is claimed to be superior over existing vaccines as it can generate an immune response to anthrax toxin as well as its spores rather than the toxin alone.
- Anthrax is an infectious disease caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis.The bacteria live in soil and usually infect wild and domestic animals such as goats,cattle and sheep.
- However,humans,pigs and dogs are comparatively less susceptible and only get infected if exposed to copious amount of spores.
- Anthrax does not spread directly from one infected animal or person to another as it spread by spores.These spores can be transported by clothing or shoes.
- In 2001,these spores were used as agents of bio-terrorism when letters containing anthrax spores were sent to some people in America leading to widespread panic.
- Anthrax responds well to antibiotic treatment but vaccines are necessary as the infection can cause death within two-three days leaving no scope for diagnosis and treatment.
7 min read