- Indore (Madhya Pradesh) has been awarded the cleanest city in the country in the Swachh Survekshan 2019. Indore had bagged cleanest city award in 2017 and 2018 too.
- The second and third positions in the cleanest city category went to Ambikapur (Chhattisgarh) and Mysore (Karnataka).
- The New Delhi Municipal Council area has been adjudged the ‘Cleanest Small City’. The ‘cleanest big City’ award went to Ahmedabad (Gujarat) while, the ‘Cleanest Medium City’ Award went to Ujjain (Madhya Pradesh).
- Gauchar (Uttarakhand) was adjudged the ‘Best Ganga Town’, Raipur (Chhattisgarh) won the ‘Fastest Moving Big City’ Award.
- Swachh Survekshan is a ranking exercise to assess rural and urban areas for their levels of cleanliness and active implementation of Swacch Bharat Mission. The objective of the survey is to a) encourage large scale citizen participation and create awareness about cleanliness, b) inculcate a spirit of healthy competition among cities and towns towards creating cleaner cities/towns. The survey was launched in 2016.
- Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs takes up the Swachh Survekshan in urban areas while Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation takes up the survey in rural areas.
2 min read