News:Defence minister has addressed the personnel of Western Fleet on-board INS Vikramaditya off the coast of Goa.
About INS Vikramaditya:
- INS Vikramaditya is a modified Kiev-class aircraft carrier.
- The aircraft carrier was originally built as Baku and commissioned in 1987.
- It served with the Soviet Navy and later with the Russian Navy (as Admiral Gorshkov) before being decommissioned in 1996.
- It was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 2013 from Russia.
- The aircraft carrier is 284mts long.It has a displacement of 40,000 tons and is the biggest and heaviest in the Indian Navy fleet.
- It has a total of 22 decks and can accommodate 1600 persons.
- The warship can also carry planes such as MiG-29K,Kamov-31 and Chetak helicopters.