News:India is expected to back Argentina’s nominee for the post of Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
- The International Atomic Energy Agency(IAEA) is widely known as the world’s Atoms for Peace and Development.It was established as an autonomous organization in 1957.
- It seems to promote the peaceful use of nuclear energy, and to inhibit its use for any military purpose, including nuclear weapons.
- It is headquartered in Vienna,Austria.It has 171 member states with one vote per member.
- Though established as an autonomous organisation,the IAEA reports to both the United Nations General Assembly and the UN Security Council.
- The IAEA and its former Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei were jointly awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2005.
Mission:The IAEA is generally described as having three main missions:
- Peaceful uses: Promoting the peaceful uses of nuclear energy by its member states,
- Safeguards: Implementing safeguards to verify that nuclear energy is not used for military purposes, and
- Nuclear safety: Promoting high standards for nuclear safety.