News:The 43rd session of the governing council of the International fund for Agricultural Development(IFAD) was held at the Food and Agriculture Organization(FAO) in Rome,Italy.
- The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized agency of the United Nations.
- It was established in 1977 and is one of the major outcomes of the 1974 World Food Conference.It is headquartered in Rome,Italy.
- It invests in rural people by empowering them to reduce poverty, increase food security, improve nutrition and strengthen resilience.
- Since 1978, IFAD has provided US$18.5 billion in grants and low-interest loans to projects that have reached about 464 million people.
- The Food and Agriculture Organization(FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.It is headquartered in Rome,Italy.
- It aims to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
- The various reports published by FAO are a) Global Food Price Index and b) State of the World’s Forests report among others.