News: International Yoga Day 2020 is being celebrated on June 21.
- International Day of Yoga: It has been celebrated annually since 2015 following its inception in the United Nations General Assembly in 2014.
- Theme: Yoga for Health – Yoga at Home
- Yoga is inscribed in the list of UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity of India in 2016.
- International yoga day also coincides with the summer solstice.
- Solstice: It is an event that occurs when the Sun reaches its most northerly or southerly day-arc relative to the equator.When it is the summer solstice at one Pole, it is the winter solstice on the other pole.
- Summer Solstice (June 21): It is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere as the Earth’s North Pole is tilted closest to the sun.
- Winter Solstice (December 21): It is the shortest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere as the North Pole is most tilted away from the Sun.
- Equinox: It is commonly regarded as the instant when the center of the visible Sun is directly above the Equator.
- This occurs twice each year: around 20 March (called “Spring Equinox” as it marks the beginning of spring in most cultures) and 23 September (called “Autumnal Equinox” as it marks the beginning of autumn).