News: The Supreme Court has asked the government to decide on the plea for setting up expert panels to boost India’s prospects in the Rule of Law Index.
- Rule of Index: It is a quantitative assessment tool designed to offer a detailed and comprehensive picture of the extent to which countries adhere to the rule of law in practice.
- Published by: World Justice Project- an independent organisation.
- Parameters: It measures rule of law performance across eight factors: 1) Constraints on Government Powers 2) Absence of Corruption, 3) Open Government 4) Fundamental Rights 5) Order and Security 6) Regulatory Enforcement 7) Civil Justice and 8) Criminal Justice.
- Top Performers in 2020: The index has been topped by Denmark followed by Norway and Finland.
- India: It has been ranked at 69. India has never been ranked among the top 50 in the Index.