News: According to the National Health Authority(NHA), Pradhan Mantri-Jan Arogya Yojana(PM-JAY) has seen 57% fall in surgeries, 46% in medical care during lockdown.
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana(PMJAY) was launched in 2018.It is an umbrella scheme under Ayushman Bharat.Other element is Health and Wellness Centres.
- Aim: To provide health cover of Rs. 5 lakhs per family per year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalization to over 10.74 crores poor and vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries).
- Coverage: The households included are based on the deprivation and occupational criteria of Socio-Economic Caste Census 2011 (SECC 2011) for rural and urban areas respectively.
- Financing: It is fully funded by the Government and cost of implementation is shared between the Central and State Governments.
- Health and Wellness Centers (HWCs): Government aims to set up 1,50,000 Health and Wellness Centres(HWCs) by transforming the existing Sub Centres and Primary Health Centres.
- These centres are to deliver Comprehensive Primary Health Care (CPHC) bringing healthcare closer to the homes of people.
- National Health Authority(NHA): It is the apex body setup to administer the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana(PMJAY).It’s governing board is chaired by the Minister for Health and Family Welfare.