- India’s External Affairs Minister will be on a two day visit to Bangladesh. The two countries are expected to review the status of all the issues and projects between the two sides.
- The visit is being viewed as important due to the upcoming publication of the National Register of Citizens in Assam which has drawn attention of the Bangladesh.
- However,experts have said that Bangladesh considers NRC to be an internal issue of India and therefore it is unlikely to raise the issue with India.
- Bangladesh is also expected to take up the Rohingya issue with India.It wants India to exert more pressure on the Government of Myanmar which is an emerging strategic partner of India in the Southeast Asian region.
- Further,India and Bangladesh have been in dialogue to sign the Teesta water agreement since 2011 though the final deal has remained elusive due to differences within India.
- Teesta is a river which originates in the Himalayas and flows through Sikkim and West Bengal to merge with the Brahmaputra in Assam and (Jamuna in Bangladesh).The water sharing agreement has not been signed due to opposition from West Bengal as water is a State subject.
2 min read