- Election Commission(EC) has held internal discussions on the delimitation of constituencies ahead of elections to the new Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Delimitation means the act or process of fixing limits or boundaries of Lok Sabha and state Assembly seats.Population is the basis of redrawing of boundaries and allocation of seats.
- This task of delimitation is assigned to a four-member Delimitation Commission of which one of the members represents the EC.
- According to the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act,2019,the number of seats in the Legislative Assembly of the UT of J&K would be increased from 107 to 114.The Act also specifies that delimitation will be based on the 2011 census till 2026.
- The act also carries a provision for introduction of reservation of seats for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The exercise of delimitation will be carried out in J&K after over two decades.Although the rest of the country had undergone delimitation in 2002,J&K Assembly had passed a law putting a freeze on fresh delimitation of seats until 2026.
2 min read