News:Greenpeace India has released an annual report on the most polluted cities in India.
About the report:
- The report is based on analysis of particulate matter data across 287 cities.
- It has used Central Pollution Control Board(CPCB) data to rank the most polluted cities in India.
Key takeaways from the report:
- Jharia in Jharkhand which is known for its underground coal fires was ranked as the most polluted city in the country in 2018.
- Dhanbad in Jharkhand was ranked as the second-most polluted city in India.
- Delhi was 10th most polluted city in 2018 an improvement by two ranks as compared to 2017.
- Lunglei in Mizoram was the least polluted city in India followed by Meghalaya’s Dowki.
- Further,Six of the top-10 polluted cities are in Uttar Pradesh namely Noida, Ghaziabad, Bareilly, Allahabad, Moradabad and Firozabad.
- Greenpeace is a non-governmental environmental organization established in 1971.It is headquartered at Amsterdam,Netherlands.
- It’s goal is to ensure the ability of the Earth to nurture life in all its diversity and focuses its campaigning on global issues such as climate change, deforestation, anti-nuclear issues among others.