- According to government officials,Pakistan is reluctant to build a bridge on its side to connect with the one being built on the Indian side for seamless movement to the Kartarpur shrine.
- Pakistan has refused to build the bridge as it would cut into their defence embankment and the neighbouring country has refused the proposal after initially agreeing to it.
- The Kartarpur Corridor is a 4km long proposed corridor comprising border gates,road and a bridge to link Dera Baba Nanak gurdwara in Gurdaspur district in India to Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan.It is aimed at allowing the easy movement of Sikh pilgrims to the Kartarpur gurdwara.
- The gurdwara in Kartarpur stands on the bank of River Ravi,about 120 km northeast of Lahore.It is revered as Guru Nanak’s final resting place.
- Pilgrimages between India and Pakistan are governed by the 1974 Protocol on Visits to Religious Shrines.The Kartarpur Corridor which may provide visa-free access from India to the shrine inside Pakistan,might need a separate treaty.
6 min read