News:Geographical Indication Registry of India has accorded Geographical Indication(GI) tag to Kovilpatti Kadalai Mittai and Kashmir saﬀron.
Kovilpatti Kadalai Mittai:
- It is peanut candy made in southern parts of Tamil Nadu.The candy is prepared from groundnut and jaggery.
- Uniqueness: a) Water is exclusively used from the river Thamirabarani and b) Production process is done using ‘veragu aduppu’ (firewood stove).
- It is cultivated and harvested in the Karewa (highlands) of Jammu and Kashmir.It is the only saffron in the world grown at an altitude of 1,600 m to 1,800m above mean sea level.
- Characteristics: longer and thicker stigmas, natural deep-red colour, high aroma, bitter flavour, chemical-free processing and high quantity of crocin (colouring strength), safranal (flavour) and picrocrocin (bitterness).
- Types: a) Lacha Saffron– Stigmas are separated from the flowers and dried without further processing b) Mongra Saffron– stigmas are detached from the flower, dried in the sun and processed traditionally and c) Guchhi Saffron- same as Lachha except that the latter’s dried stigmas are packed loosely in air-tight containers while the former has stigmas joined together in a bundle tied with a cloth thread.
- Significance : It is known all over the world as a spice, health rejuvenator and is also used in cosmetics as well as for medicinal purposes.