News:Union Territory of Ladakh is celebrating Losar Festival on 27 December 2019.
About Losar Festival:
- Losar is Tibetan word for new year.Losar festival is celebrated to mark the Ladakhi or Tibetan New Year.
- The festival is regarded as the most important socio-religious event of Ladakh.
- The festival is held annually on the 1st Day of the Eleventh Month of Tibetan Calendar correlating to a date in the Gregorian calendar.
- During the festival,Ladakhi Buddhists make religious offering before their deities in the domestic shrines or in the Gompas.
- The festival also organises various cultural events, ancient rituals and also traditional performances.
- The variation of the Losar festival in Nepal is called as Lhochhar festival. It is observed about eight weeks earlier than the Tibetan Losar.