News: The Lakshadweep Administration had embarked on the Pilot project on Biological Control of Rodents(Rats) by Using Barn Owls(Tyto alba) in Kavaratti Island.
- Kavaratti: It is the capital of the Union Territory of Lakshadweep.
- The Kavaratti island is at a distance of 404 km from Kochi,Kerala and is located between Agatti Island on the west and Androth Island on the east.
- Kavaratti has been selected as one of the hundred Indian cities to be developed as a smart city under Prime Minister’s flagship Smart Cities Mission.
- Barn Owl: The common barn-owl (Tyto alba) belongs to the family of owls, Tytonidae.It is one of the most widespread owls in Indian Subcontinent.
- IUCN: Listed as ‘least concern’ under IUCN red list.
- Significance: The Barn Owls mostly hunt small mammals especially rodents (hence it’s called as farmer’s friend).