- Chhattisgarh government has announced the setting up of Lemru Elephant Reserve(LER).
- The reserve is aimed at minimizing human-elephant conflict and destruction of property in addition to providing a permanent habitat for the elephants.
- The reserve will be set-up as per the report and recommendations of Special High-Power Technical Committee(SHPTC) which was constituted by the Government of India.
- The report stated that LER would provide a huge protected area for the conservation of wild elephants where the elephants will get an abundant amount of water, food and other facilities.
- The Government of India had launched the project Elephant in the year 1992 as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme.The objectives of project include (a)to protect elephants,their habitat & corridors (b)to address issues of man-animal conflict and (c)welfare of captive elephants.
1 min read