News:Macau is celebrating the 20th Anniversary since the former Portuguese colony was returned to China.
- Macau is a special administrative region of China.It is an example of One Country,Two Systems.
- It is situated on the south-east coast of China near the mouth of the Pearl River.It is 60 kilometres from Hong Kong.
- Macau consists of the Macau peninsula and the two islands of Taipa and Coloane.
- The Macau retained its previous capitalist system and way of life rather than adopting the Chinese mainland’s socialist system.
- Macao also has a high degree of autonomy and enjoy executive, legislative and independent judicial power except in two areas namely foreign affairs and defense.
- But as part of China, Macao is under the leadership of the central government in China.
About One Country,Two Systems:
- The “One Country, Two Systems” principle was an idea that first came into existence in the 1970s.
- In the early 1980s,the then Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping put forward the concept in an effort to realize the peaceful reunification of China.
- According to Deng,there is only one China – under this premise the Chinese mainland adheres to the socialist system while Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan may retain their capitalist systems.