News: The Madhubani art is coming alive after artists are using the art for making masks.
- Madhubani painting is also referred as Mithila Art as it originated in the Mithila region of Bihar.
- Characteristics: The painting is done using fingers, twigs, brushes and nib-pens, wherein sketches are made with folk motifs of Mithila.It is also characterised by its eye-catching geometrical patterns.
- Significance: This style of painting has been traditionally done by the women of the region, though today men are also involved to meet the demand.
- Colours: The colours used in paintings comprise natural extracts from plants and other natural sources. E.g.: Black colour is obtained by mixing soot with cow dung; blue from indigo among others.
- Themes: Figures from nature & mythology are adapted to suit their style. The themes & designs widely painted are of Hindu deities such as Krishna, Rama, Saraswati, wedding scenes among others.