News: Scientists from Institute of Nano Science & Technology(INST) are making efforts to make magnetic hyperthermia-mediated cancer therapy(MHCT) as desired therapy for inoperable tumours.
- Magnetic hyperthermia-mediated cancer therapy (MHCT): It is a non-invasive cancer treatment.
- Technique: It involves the delivery and localisation of magnetic materials within the targeted tumour site followed by subsequent application of an alternating magnetic field(AMF) thereby generating heat at the tumour site.
- Applications: It can efficiently act against deep-seated inaccessible solid tumours like glioblastoma and is highly thermo-sensitive towards normal cells with minimal toxicity against healthy counterparts.
- Metamaterials: These are artificially crafted materials with unique internal microstructures that give them properties not found in nature. They are made from assemblies of multiple elements fashioned from composite materials such as metals and plastics.
- Potential applications of metamaterials include optical filters, medical devices, remote aerospace applications, sensor detection among others.