News: The Central Government has constituted the National Council for Transgender Persons under the Transgender Persons (Protection of Rights) Act, 2019.
- Aim: To formulate policies, programmes, legislation and projects regarding members of the community for achieving equality and full participation by them.
- To advise the central government on the formulation of policies, programmes, legislation and projects with respect to transgender persons.
- Monitor and evaluate the impact of policies and programmes designed for achieving equality and full participation of transgender persons
- Review and Coordinate the activities of all the departments; redressing grievances of transgender persons and
- Perform such other functions as prescribed by the Centre.
- Chairperson: Union Minister of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Vice Chairperson: Junior Minister of the Ministry for Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Members: The council will have joint secretary-level members from the ministries of health, home, minority affairs, education, rural development, labour and law.
- In addition, there will be a member from the department of pensions, Niti Aayog, National Human Rights Commission and National Commission for Women.
- States: Representatives from five states or Union Territories on a rotational basis will be members of the commission.
- Community: Five members of the community and five experts, from non-governmental organisations have also been named to the commission.The tenure of the community members and experts shall be three years.