- The Maharashtra government has decided to upgrade the entire Crime Criminal Tracking Network System(CCTNS) project after complaints of glitches in the system.
- CCTNS is a project initiated in June 2009 which was aimed at creating a comprehensive and integrated system for enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of policing at the Police Station level.
- The project targets to interconnect about 15000 Police Stations and additional 5000 offices of supervisory police officers across the country and digitize data related to FIR registration, investigation and charge sheets in all Police Stations.
- It has not only automate Police functions at Police station and higher levels but will also create facilities and mechanism to provide public services like registration of online complaints, ascertaining the status of case registered at the police station and verification of persons.
- Further,Inter-operable Criminal Justice System(ICJS) was announced in 2015 to integrate the CCTNS database with databases of e-courts, e-prisons, Forensics, Prosecution and Fingerprints of criminals to improve criminal justice system.
- In 2017,Digital Police Portal was also launched under CCTNS to enable citizens to register FIRs online and to offer 7 Public Delivery Services (like Address Verification of employees, tenants,Lost & Found Articles etc.).
6 min read