News: Critics have highlighted issues with Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY)
About Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana
- It is a conditional Maternity Benefit Programme launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development in 2017. It is in accordance with the National Food Security Act 2013.
Objectives: Providing partial wage compensation in terms of the cash incentive to improve health-seeking behavior amongst Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW& LM).
Benefits: A cash incentive of 5000/- is provided directly to the Bank / Post Office Account of Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM)
Beneficiaries: All eligible Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers who have their pregnancy on or after 1st January 2017 for the first child in the family.
- Exclusion: PW&LM who are in regular employment with the Central/State Government or PSUs or those who are in receipt of similar benefits under any law.
Implementation: PMMVY is implemented using the platform of Anganwadi Services under the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan: Launched by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, the scheme guarantees a minimum package of antenatal care services to women in their 2nd / 3rd trimesters of pregnancy at designated government health facilities.
- Janani Suraksha Yojana: Under the scheme, eligible pregnant women are entitled to cash assistance irrespective number of children for giving birth in a government or accredited private health facility.
State Maternity Benefit Programs:
1. Mamta scheme, Odisha: Rs. 5,000 per child provided to PW& LM for the first two childbirths.
2. Dr. Muthulakshmi Reddy Maternity Benefit Scheme, Tamil Nadu: financial assistance of Rs. 18,000 per child and amma nutrition kit is provided to PW&LM for the first two births