- Experts have raised questions on the design of Boeing 737 MAX 8.The questions have been raised as the entire global fleet of Boeing 737 Max 8 planes has been grounded.
- The decision on grounding of planes comes in the backdrop of the recent Ethopian Airlines crash.On 10 March 2019, A 737 MAX 8 aircraft operated by Ethiopian Airlines had crashed near Addis Ababa killing 157 people.
- Experts have said that problem is with the installed MACS on the new Boeing 737 MAX.The Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) is an automated safety feature on the plane designed to prevent the plane from entering into a stall,or losing lift.
- Angle of attack sensors on the aircraft tell the MCAS to automatically point the nose of the plane down if it is in danger of going into a stall.The pilots of the Ethiopian Airlines struggled to control the aircraft as the automated MCAS system repeatedly pushed the plane’s nose down following takeoff.
- The Boeing 737 MAX is an American narrow-body aircraft series designed and produced by Boeing Commercial Airplanes
2 min read