- Researchers have discovered fossils of an extinct parrot species in near St. Bathans in southern New Zealand. The area has been a rich source of fossils from the Miocene period which extends from about five million to 23 million years ago
- According to researchers it is the heaviest known parrot to have ever lived. It lived 19 million years ago. The parrot has been named Heracles inexpectatus
- The birds were flightless. They were up to 1 m tall and weighed up to 7kgs.
- Heracles belongs to a group of ancient parrots native to New Zealand, which includes the kakapo.
- Kakapo is a critically endangered flightless bird which still exists in New Zealand. It is the heaviest parrot alive today
1 min read