News: On Swachh Bharat Diwas (2nd October), Swachh Bharat (2020) Awards were distributed.
- Swachh Bharat Awards are conferred upon best performing States/UTs, districts, blocks, GPs and others in various categories and campaigns under Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Gujarat was felicitated with the first prize in the state for Swachh Sundar Samudayik Shauchalaya (SSSS) campaign.
- Telangana received the top award for maximum Shramdaan participation.
- Haryana was felicitated with the top award for declaring maximum ODF Plus villages
Swachh Bharat Mission:
- It is a nationwide cleanliness campaign initiated by Govt. of India on 2nd October 2014.
- Aim: It sought to achieve a Clean India by 2019, as a tribute to the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Eliminate open defecation
- Conversion of insanitary toilets to pour flush toilets,
- Eradication of manual scavenging,
- 100% collection and scientific processing/disposal reuse/recycle of Municipal Solid Waste,
- To bring about a behavioural change in people regarding healthy sanitation practices,
- Generate awareness among the citizens about sanitation and its linkages with public health.
- Strengthening of urban local bodies to design, execute and operate systems,
- To create enabling environment for private sector participation in Capital Expenditure and Operation & Maintenance (O&M) costs.
- Construction of Household Toilets,
- Community and Public Toilets
- Solid Waste Management
- Information, Education & Communication (IEC) and Public Awareness,
- Capacity Building and Administrative & Office Expenses (A&OE).
- Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin): It aims to improve the levels of cleanliness in rural areas through Solid and Liquid Waste Management activities and making villages Open Defecation Free (ODF) and clean. It is implemented by Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Jal Shakti Ministry
- Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban): It aims at elimination of open defecation, conversion of unsanitary toilets to pour flush toilets, eradication of manual scavenging, municipal solid waste management and bringing about a behavioural change in people regarding healthy sanitation practices. It is implemented by Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.