News:Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities(DEPwD) under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has developed a Management Information System(MIS) for stakeholders of Accessible India Campaign (AIC).
About MIS Portal:
- The MIS portal will bring all the nodal ministries and States/UTs on a single platform for monitoring the progress being made against each target of Accessible India Campaign (AIC).
- The portal will be useful in maintaining all the function on digital platform and capture data on a real-time basis.
Accessible India Campaign:
- Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities(DEPwD) has formulated the Accessible India Campaign also known as Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan.
- It was launched on International Day of Persons with Disabilities on 3rd December,2015.
- The campaign is based on the principles of the Social Model of Disability, which means disability is caused by the way society is organised and not by the person’s limitations and impairments
- The aim of the Campaign is to make a barrier free and conducive environment for Persons with Disabilities all over the country.
- The campaign targets three separate verticals for achieving universal accessibility namely (a)built up environment (b)transportation ecosystem and (c)information & communication technology(ICT) ecosystem.
- The campaign is in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) to which India is a signatory.