News:Government of India has launched Mission Sagar amidst COVID-19 pandemic.
- Aim: To provide two medical assistance teams, medicines and essential food items related to Covid-19 to five Island nations in the Indian Ocean namely Maldives, Mauritius, Seychelles, Madagascar and Comoros.
- Indian Naval Ship(INS) Kesari has been deployed under this mission.
- Implementation:It is being implemented in close coordination with the Ministries of Defence and External Affairs and other agencies of the Government of India.
- The mission has been deployed under India’s vision of Security and Growth of All in the Region(SAGAR) in the Indian Ocean.
- The term was coined by the Indian Prime Minister in 2015.
- It is a maritime initiative which gives priority to Indian Ocean region for ensuring peace, stability and prosperity of India in Indian Ocean region.
- The initiative aims at
- enhancing capacities to safeguard land and maritime territories & interests
- deepening economic and security cooperation in the littoral and
- action to deal with natural disasters and maritime threats like piracy,terrorism.