News: The Ministry of Rural Development has observed that the Model Village Scheme (Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana(SAGY)) has not been able to achieve the desired objectives and failed to make a significant impact.
- Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana(SAGY): It was launched by the Ministry of Rural Development in 2014.
- Aim: Under the Scheme, Members of Parliament (MPs) are responsible for developing the socio-economic and physical infrastructure of three villages each by 2019 and a total of eight villages each by 2024.
- Key Features:
- MPs have to select a gram panchayat (other than their own village or that of their spouse) to be developed as an Adarsh Gram(Model Village).
- Lok Sabha MP has to choose from within his/her constituency
- Rajya Sabha MP has to choose from the rural area of a district of his/her choice in the State from which he/she is elected
- Nominated MPs have to choose a Gram Panchayat from the rural area of any district in the country.
- Funding: No new funds are allocated for the scheme.Resources may be raised through existing schemes, MPLADS, CSR funds, gram panchayat’s own revenue.