News:The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has informed Lok Sabha about the financial assistance for upgradation/ modernisation of already sanctioned Eklavya Model Residential Schools(EMRSs).
About Eklavya Model Residential Schools(EMRS):
- EMRS is a Government of India scheme for model residential school for Scheduled Tribes across India.
- It is one of the flagship interventions of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs,Government of India.
- It was introduced in the year 1997-98 to ensure tribal students get access to quality education in the remote tribal areas.
- EMRSs are set up in States/UTs with grants under Article 275(1) of the Constitution of India.
- As per the budget 2018-19,every block with more than 50% ST population and at least 20,000 tribal persons will have an Eklavya Model Residential School by the year 2022.
Objectives of EMRS:
- Comprehensive physical, mental and socially relevant development of all students enrolled in each and every EMRS
- Focus differentially on the educational support to be made available to those in Standards XI and XII and those in standards VI to X, so that their distinctive needs can be met,
- Support the annual running expenses in a manner that offers reasonable remuneration to the staff and upkeep of the facilities and
- Support the construction of infrastructure that provides education, physical environmental and cultural needs of student life.