News: The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Mohali, has developed the technology for aquaponic cultivation of plants.
- Aquaponics: It is an emerging technique in which both fish as well as plants complement each other to sustain and grow.The fish waste provides organic food for plants and plants naturally filter the water, which is used to replenish the fish tank.
- Extremely water efficient.
- Does not require soil.
- Does not use fertilizers or chemical pesticides.
- Reduces pressure on land and cuts down operational costs among others.
- It does not require farmland with fertile soil
- It provides Food Security and a better source of income for farmers.
- C-DAC: It is the premier Research & Development organization of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology(Meity) for carrying out R&D in IT, Electronics and associated areas.