News: National Mission for Clean Ganga(NMCG), the Wildlife Institute of India and the Forest Department has launched the My Ganga My Dolphin campaign on the occasion of Ganga River Dolphin Day.
- Aim: To promote and boost Dolphin based ecotourism in the country and to conduct Dolphin census.
- The programme also includes dolphin safari in six sites across the states of Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal.
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG): It has been established as an Authority under National Council for River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Act, 2016.It is the implementing agency of the Namami Gange Programme at the national level.
- Gangetic river dolphin:It is India’s national aquatic animal found in parts of the Ganges, Meghna and Brahmaputra river systems in India, Nepal and Bangladesh. IUCN Red List: Endangered.
- Wildlife Institute of India(WII): It was established in 1982 as an autonomous institution under the Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate change.It carries out wildlife research in areas of study like Biodiversity, Endangered Species, Wildlife Policy, Wildlife Management among others.Headquarters: Dehradun, India.