- U.S President has said that North Korea does not have any economic future with nuclear weapons.Further,US and South Korea also announced they will end their annual large-scale joint military exercises as US is pursuing efforts to improve ties with North Korea.
- Foal Eagle was the largest of the regular joint exercises held by USA and South Korea.Key Resolve was a computer-simulated exercise alongside Foal Eagle.
- Now,the US-South Korea post drills will be named as “Dongmaeng,” or alliance in English,and will replace Key Resolve.Foal Eagle drills will be replaced by a much smaller, battalion-sized exercise.
- US President and North Korean leader had met for a second summit in Vietnam.The summit ended in failure with the two sides far apart on the central issues of disarmament and sanctions relief.
- The first summit was held at Singapore where they had pledged to work towards the complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.
2 min read