News: Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment has launched the Nasha Mukt Bharat: Annual Action Plan (2020-21).
- The Nasha Mukt Bharat Annual Action Plan for 2020-21 would focus on 272 most affected districts.
- The plan aims to launch a three-pronged attack combining efforts of the Narcotics Control Bureau, Outreach/Awareness by Social Justice and Treatment through the Health Department.
- The Action Plan has the following components:
- Awareness generation programmes
- Focus on Higher Educational institutions
- University Campuses and Schools
- Community outreach and identification of dependent population;
- Focus on Treatment facilities in Hospital settings and
- Capacity Building Programmes for Service Providers.
- National Action Plan for Drug Demand Reduction(NAPDDR), 2018-2025:
- The plan was drafted by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- It aims to reduce the adverse consequences of drug abuse in India through a) education, b) de-addiction and c) rehabilitation of affected individuals and their families.
- A steering committee under the chairmanship of the secretary, Social Justice Ministry monitors the implementation of the Action Plan.
- Narcotics Control Bureau: It is the nodal drug law enforcement and intelligence agency of India.It functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs.It was established in 1986 under the NDPS Act,1985.It is headquartered in New Delhi.