News:Union Cabinet has approved e National Commission for Indian System of Medicine(NCIM) Bill,2019.
Key features of the bill:
National Commission for Indian System of Medicine(NCIM):
- The commission will consist of members appointed by the central government.They will have a maximum term of four years.
- The main objective of the commission will be to promote equity by ensuring an adequate supply of quality medical professionals and enforce high ethical standards in all aspects of medical services in Indian System of Medicine.
Autonomous Boards:The Bill sets up certain autonomous boards under the supervision of the NCISM.These boards are:
- Board of Ayurveda and the Board of Unani, Siddha and Sowa-Rigpa
- Medical Assessment and Rating Board for Indian System of Medicine
- Ethics and Medical Registration Board.
Advisory Council for Indian System of Medicine:
- The central government will constitute an Advisory Council for Indian System of Medicine.
- The Council will be the primary platform through which the states/union territories can put forth their views and concerns before the NCISM.
- There will be a uniform National Eligibility cum Entrance Test for admission to under-graduate education in each of the disciplines of the Indian System of Medicine in all medical institutions.
- AYUSH stands for Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homoeopathy.In 2015,Ministry of Ayush had also included Sowa Rigpa to the AYUSH system.
- These are Indian systems of medicine based on traditional medical philosophies and represent a way of healthy living with established concepts on prevention of diseases and promotion of health.