- Committee will be setup under NITI Aayog to complete the task of identifying de-notified, nomadic and semi-nomadic communities not yet formally classified.The committee will follow up on the work of the Renke Commission and the Idate Commission.
- A Welfare Development Board will also be set up under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to design and implement programmes for these hard-to-reach communities.
- Denotified Tribes (DNTs) are the tribes that were listed originally under the Criminal Tribes Act of 1871 enforced by Britishers whereby entire population were identified as criminals by birth.
- Nomadic tribes are those tribes who travel from place to place for their livelihood such as acrobats, snake charmers, ayurvedic healers etc.
- On the other hand, Semi-nomadic tribe are those who are on the move but return to a fixed habitation once a year especially for occupational reasons.
1 min read