News: The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare amended Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Packaging and Labelling) Rules, 2008.
- New sets of specified health warnings for all tobacco product packs has been notified by the amendment.
- All tobacco products manufactured or imported or packaged on or after September 1, shall display the first images
- Those manufactured or imported or packaged on or after September 1, 2021 shall display the second image.
- Violation of the provision is a punishable offence under Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003.
Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products Act, 2003 (COTPA)
- It prohibits advertisement of cigarettes and other tobacco products in India.
- Smoking in public places (including indoor workplaces) is prohibited.
- Pictorial warnings: Pictorial warnings on both sides of packages of cigarettes, bidis and all forms of chewing tobacco products is compulsory and currently covers 85% of the packet.