News: National Gallery of Modern Art will organise the virtual tour to commemorate the 150th Birth Anniversary of Abanindranath Tagore.
- Abanindranath Tagore: He was one of the most prominent artists of India.
- Abanindranath was the first major supporter of swadeshi values in Indian art.
- He first created the ‘Indian Society of Oriental Art’ and later went on to establish Bengal school of art which led to the development of modern Indian painting.
- He also sought to modernise the Mughal and Rajput styles to counter the influence of Western models of art, as taught in art schools under the British Raj.
- Famous Paintings: Ganesh Janani, Bharat Mata, The Victory of Buddha, The Passing of Shah Jahan.
- Famous Books: Aban Thakur, Rajkahini, Budo Angla, Nalak and Khirer Putul were important books in Bengali language children’s literature and art.