News:Researchers from the National Institute of Animal Biotechnology(NIAB), Hyderabad have developed a coronavirus detection kit named “eCovSens”.
- eCovSens is a biosensor that can detect the presence of novel coronavirus antigens in human saliva within 30 seconds.
- It consists of a carbon electrode coated with the antibody of Covid-19. When a saliva sample from an infected person is applied on the electrode, a reaction occurs between antibody on the electrode and antigen in the saliva.
- This generates an electric signal confirming the presence of the virus in the sample.
- Antigen:It is a toxin or other foreign substance which induces an immune response in the body.
- Antibodies:It is a protective protein produced by the immune system in order to attack antigens.
- Biosensor(Biological Sensor):It is an analytical device that detects the changes in biological processes such as enzymes, tissues, antibodies or microorganisms and converts them into an electrical signal that can be measured.