News: NITI Aayog has released a report titled ‘Health Systems for a New India: Building Blocks—Potential Pathways to Reforms’. The report charts out a roadmap for the complete transformation of India’s health system.
Key recommendations from the report:
- Develop and deliver on the unfinished agenda pertaining to population and public health
- Change health system financing structure away from the predominant out-of-pocket spending into risk pooling mechanism (one that provides effective protection against catastrophic events).
- Integrate healthcare service delivery vertically and horizontally
- Empower patients to become better purchasers of healthcare
- Harness the power of digital health as a critical enabler for the overall transformation of the health system
- Implement Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY with an eye on its potential to influence the overall healthcare transformation in India, beyond its current explicit mandate.