News:The 68th Plenary session of the North Eastern Council (NEC) was held in Guwahati,Assam.
About North Eastern Council:
- North Eastern Council(NEC) was constituted as a statutory advisory body under the NEC Act,1971.
- Members:The eight States of Northeast India are members of the council with their respective Chief Ministers and Governors representing them.
- Ministry:The council functions under the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Government of India.
- Chairman:Union Home Minister is ex-officio Chairman of the Council
- Vice Chairman:Minister of State (Independent Charge),Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region(DoNER).
- Mandate:The Council was initially set up as an advisory body but now sanctioned as a Regional planning body since 2002.
- The council while formulating a regional plan for North Eastern states shall give priority to the schemes and projects benefiting two or more states provided that in the case of Sikkim,the Council shall formulate specific projects and schemes for that State.