News: Scientists have discovered the oldest solid material on Earth
- The oldest solid material is a presolar silicon carbide (SiC). It dates back to 7 billion year
- It has been found in stardust trapped inside Murchison meteorite that struck Australia in 1969.
- Materials older than the solar system are called presolar materials.
- The sun formed about 4.6 billion years ago, and Earth formed about 4.54 billion years ago.
- Stardust: It refers to refractory dust grains that condensed from cooling ejected gases from individual presolar stars. It then incorporated into the cloud from which the Solar System condensed.