- Opening ceremony of Exercise Mitra Shakti VI, has been recently held in Sri Lanka. The exercise is being conducted from 26 March to 08 April 19. Troops from 1st Battalion the BIHAR Regiment of the Indian Army and Gemunu Watch Battalion of Sri Lankan Army would be undertaking the exercise.
- The primary focus of the exercise is to train and equip the contingents to undertake joint counter insurgency and counter terrorist operations under the United Nations mandate.
- Mitra Shakti is an annual joint military exercise between India and Sri Lanka. The exercise aims at building and promoting close relations between armies of both the countries. It seeks to enhance ability of joint exercise commander to take military contingents of both nations under command.
- The fifth edition of Mitra Shakti had taken place in India, at the Aundh military station in Pune, Maharashtra in 2017.
- India and Sri Lanka also undertakes SLINEX, a joint naval exercise. Fifth edition of SLINEX had taken place in 2018. The exercise seeks to enhance interoperability between the two countries and contribute towards maritime security in the region.
2 min read