News:Organisation of Islamic Cooperation(OIC) has called on India to repeal its actions revoking Article 370 in Jammu and Kashmir.
About Organisation of Islamic Cooperation(OIC):
- OIC is an international organization with the primary objective of safeguarding the interests of the Muslim world in the spirit of promoting international peace and harmony.
- It was established in 1969 after the attack on Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.It is headquartered at Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- It is the second largest intergovernmental organization after the United Nations with a membership of 57 states.Of these,47 are Muslim Majority countries.
- The Observer states are (a)Bosnia and Herzegovina (b)Central African Republic (c)Thailand (d)Russia and (e)Turkish Cypriot State.
- The OIC also has permanent delegations to the United Nations and the European Union.
India and OIC:
- India had shown an interest in joining the OIC as a member state at the time of its formation.
- However,India has never since made a formal application to join OIC as an observer or as a member state.
- Further,Pakistan has been strongly opposed to India’s inclusion in the OIC.
- It has argued that India’s inclusion in OIC would violate the rules of the OIC, which require that an aspirant state should not have an ongoing conflict with a member state.