News: Palau has become the first country to ban sun cream that is harmful to corals and sea life.
- The ban covers chemicals such as oxybenzone and octinoxate used in sunscreen
- These chemicals are toxic to wildlife species such as corals, fish, and macroalgae. They can cause:
o corals to become more susceptible to coral bleaching,
o damage the DNA of coral, and
o deform and kill juvenile corals
- It is an island country located in the western Pacific Ocean.
- Rock Islands Southern Lagoon of Palau is a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Palau created the world’s first shark sanctuary in 2009.