- A study carried out by National Institute of Public Finance and Policy for the housing ministry, ha claimed that Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Housing for All -Urban (PMAY-U) created 61.49 lakh jobs between 2015 and 2019.
- PMAY (U) is a Mission to provide housing for all in urban areas by 2022. It is being implemented from 2015.
- The scheme as four components: a) In-situ Rehabilitation of existing slum dwellers using land as a resource through private participation, b) Credit Linked Subsidy, c) Affordable Housing in Partnership and d) Subsidy for Beneficiary-led individual house construction/enhancement. Central assistance is provided to Urban Local Bodies and other implementing agencies through states/UTs for implanting these components.
- The scheme is implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme except the credit linked subsidy component. The credit link subsidy component is implemented as a Central Sector Scheme.
- The government has also launched Global Housing Technology Challenge (GHTC) under PMAY (U) in January 2019. It aims to transform the eco-system of housing construction sector in India through lighthouse projects built using advanced proven technologies. This would help States/UTs to construct sanctioned houses under PMAY (U) by 2022.
GHTC has three components: a) Conduct of Grand Expo-cum-Conference, b) Identifying Proven Demonstrable Technologies from across the globe and c) Promoting Potential