- The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has asked for State governments support to achieve the eight crore free cooking gas connection distribution target under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY).
- According to data,7.5 crore poor households have access to clean cooking fuel under PMUY.Further,LPG penetration across the country has also reached 95% as against 56% in May 2014.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.The scheme was launched in 2016.It aims to safeguard the health of women & children by providing them with a clean cooking fuel – LPG.
- The scheme provides free LPG connections to economically weaker families.The connections are issued in the name of women of the households.
- Under the scheme, cash assistance of Rs. 1600 is given to the beneficiaries to get a deposit-free new connection. Further, interest free loan is provided to purchase stove and refill by Oil Marketing Companies.
2 min read