News: Ministry of Home Affairs(MHA) has notified Rules of Transaction of Business for the Government of Union territory of Jammu and Kashmir(J&K).
- What does the rules provide? The rules provide details of work allocation, distribution of the business among the departments, their powers, executive powers of LG among others in J&K.
Key Highlights of Rules:
- Departments: There will be 39 departments in the J&K such as school education, agriculture, higher education, horticulture, election, general administration, home, mining, power, Public Works Department, tribal affairs and transport.
- Public Order: Police, Public order, All India Services and Anti-corruption will fall under the executive functions of the LG.This implies that the Chief Minister or the Council of Ministers will have no say in their functioning.
- Peace and Tranquility: Proposals or matters which are likely to affect the peace and tranquility of the UT or the interest of any minority community, SC, ST and the Backward Classes shall be submitted to the LG through the Chief Secretary under intimation to the Chief Minister.
- Conflict between UT and Centre: Any matter which is likely to bring the government of the Union Territory into a controversy with the Centre or a State government shall as soon as possible, be brought to the notice of the LG and the Chief Minister through the Chief Secretary.
- Communications: All important communications received from the Centre shall as soon as possible be submitted to the Chief Secretary, the Minister in charge, the Chief Minister and the LG for information.
- Difference of Opinion: In case of difference of opinion between the LG and a Minister when no agreement could be reached even after a month, the decision of the LG shall be deemed to have been accepted by the Council of Ministers.